Monday, January 5, 2009

It has been a few days-- So much to do this time of year!  Our Christmas was a completely new experience for us! A multitude of 1st.
1st Christmas to not have to put up a Christmas tree: One would not fit in our lovely abode. We thought of Christmas lights, but thoughts of Randy Quaid's character in National Lampoons Christmas danced through my head.  
1st Christmas in many many years to not spend it in Midland in my home.  We have hosted Christmas for YEARS. Without a house it was impossible. 
1st Christmas to spend in San Antonio.
1st Christmas no stockings were hung
1st Christmas to have 4 grandchildren-WOW. What joy!!
1st Christmas to have Christmas begin on the 23 and go through the 25-- Two Christmas celebrations with the two families.
1st Christmas to not have a house
1st Christmas none of my children are 'living' in my home.

1st Christmas to not have parents. This was sobering.  Last Christmas was the first without Dad alive, we had eased into his not being with us the year before, with him not being able to come to the house, and us visiting him at the nursing home.  Last year doing for Mom and making sure she was taken care of for Christmas seemed help with the missing of Dad. 
For the past few years I had been the 'Santa' for all of the gifts Mom and Dad had given to others, even the gifts they gave each other.  Mom would call often with the question of if I had taken care of so and so and what they were giving to whom, wondering if there should be more etc. She would have me pick out my own, insist to see it, since she knew I would sometimes NOT do this, it seemed self indulgent to me. This year of course none 'from' Mom and Dad. I missed it, even if it was really 'from' me. 
Mom had tried to 'back out' of last Christmas, which we spent at Brian and Ashtons for the main meal and present opening.  I was insistent and did not let her give in to her maladies of the day, and I am so very thankful! Had that been the case I would not have the last picture of her with me.  As small item, but with so very much meaning for me.
This bit of sadness did not 'ruin' my Christmas! Actually just the opposite, it made everything so much more precious. The time to share with the boys and their families, the grandkids, even the candlelight service, that Dad enjoyed so much in the past, was so very special.  I have my memories of Christmas past, with my parents, my family as a child. I can remember the love and the joy we shared.  I treasure that. 
This year as I watched my own grown children with their families, their children, making traditions, in their own homes, telling their children of Christ's birth, I felt pure joy. Joy of God's plan to save us. Joy that His plan is so constant so precise.
I was born to a young woman with no way to care for me, I was born without parents, with no one who wanted to keep me to love.  God had a plan. A perfect plan for me.  God gave me parents, brothers, a family. God gave me a husband a companion. God gave me children, 3 sons. God gave me daughters when my 2 sons married. God gave me grandchildren. 
The love continues. 
He continues the love. 

No comments: